Friday, February 12, 2010



(this is the world’s only USB powered fondue pot, thanks to ThinkGeek.com.  If I don’t own it soon, I may actually die.)


Valentine’s Day is coming up and when I think AWESOME dinner, perfect for a holiday, I think fondue.  I’m kind of the cheese fondue master.  Ask anyone.  I’m awesome mostly because I really stink at cooking skills, but fondue only requires the skill to MELT, and I’m really good at melting stuff.  I melt plastic bowls on the stove every week.  Seriously.  The house is starting to smell weird.


 And this week, I’ve gotten a trillion requestst for my awesome fondue recipes.  So instead of e.mailing everyone I know, I’m going to post it everywhere.  For you, because I’m just that awesome.  You’re welcome.


This first one is my all-time favorite, friends from college will remember this at my many Fondue/Sushi parties.  Husband doesn’t like it so much because he says I smell like onions for days afterwards, but it’s so tasty, I take the hit and forgo smooching for a few days.  Since it has french onion dip in it, it tastes awesome with any bread, and any veggie.



Sharp Cheddar and French Onion Fondue
(I usually double this, but this is the singular version)
 
1 can cheddar cheese soup

1 cup sharp cheddar (I usually use more, just throw a bunch in a see how the consistency is)
 
8 oz french onion dip (since I usually double this, I use 16 oz sour cream and a packet of onion soup mix since it tastes way better than premade french onion dip, but if you do the singular, I’d use 8 oz sour cream and half a packet of onion soup mix, though I will add more for uber flavor)
 
a squirt of mustard 



I suggest green peppers (and the red and yellow and orange ones), cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and sourdough bread, but anything goes, seriously.



Tomato Cheddar Fondue


1 can Italian Tomato soup ( or any Campbells tomato soup that is all flavored and yummy)
 
cheddar cheese - I don’t know how much, I just add until the consistency is nice and not too thick)




Super easy, super delicious, great with veggies and breads, I like fancy focaccia breads with cheese all over the top.



Easy Swiss


1 can chicken broth
 
Swiss shredded, tossed with flour


(optional, add some pressed garlic to the chicken broth before the swiss)




This is really easy get the chicken broth boiling first then add the cheese, but I have to do it slowly and make sure I don’t add too much or too little swiss because it gets too thick or too runny.  But it’s so simple and delicious.
 
Then there’s this new aMAzing Fancy Gouda/Fontina Fondue Jane posted a few weeks ago here: http://isnowagoodtime.blogspot.com/2010/01/in-spirit.html - she’s been trying for years to perfect a fondue that does the Melting Pot justice, and it TOTALLY does!!  I skipped the green onions and used a squirt of mustard instead of powdered and it was still awesome.  I won’t repost it so you have to go and check her out, but rest assured, with Gouda and Fontina, it tastes so decadent and fancy, and I’ve made it twice now without screwing up up.  That means it’s TOTALLY foolproof!!



Easiest Chocolate Fondue EVER


1 jar Nutella
 
3/4 cup milk


dash cinnamon



Yeah, that’s it.  So easy, has that Nutella hazelnut goodness, and goes with anything you’d put with chocolate fondue.  I love rice krispie treats, brownies, any fruit, and angel food or white cake.


So if you don’t have fancy plans or anything else, nothing make sa normal meal a party like fondue.  Take my word for it, I may not be a cooking expert, but I know how to throw a par-tay :)

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...