Monday, March 21, 2011



The Dude likes a bottle now and then.  It’s cool.  But what isn’t cool is… well, you know how when little babies eat sometimes they flail around for seemingly no possible reason?  Yeah, a 19 month old flailing??  Today he actually tried and succeeded in kicking me in the face.   Repeatedly.  So I turned my head far from the path of his foot so he’d keep eating (he’s a cranky son-of-a-gun if he hasn’t had his dairy intake for the day).  But now that my face was out of the foot danger zone - it was directly in the HAND danger zone.  So he took his wee hand, grabbed my face and shoved it over to where his foot was so it could continue whacking me.


After a bit I realized this was all a very calculated assault.  A weird assault - and I made the mistake of smiling.  It was encouragement enough for the Dude and he ramped up his game, giggling hysterically.  And how am I not supposed to laugh at such mirth, huh?  Yeah, eating time was OVER.


Yesterday after our nightly family prayer, the husband and I gave each other a quick smooch.  It’s a tradition - we kiss after every prayer we have together.  This is no news to anyone.  But it made an impression on the Dude, who curiously watched this, then grabbed my shoulder and the husband’s shoulder and pushed them towards each other until we went ahead and kissed again.  This was apparently HYSTERICAL so the Dude cackled and he jammed our faces together over and over again.  We were laughing so hard we couldn’t even pucker.  I’ve never seen such a happy child.  He tried his own brand of kissing too - which is opening his mouth wide and putting it on your face.  It’s quite messy.


Sometimes I wonder if the Dude and I have anything in common.  Demanding physical control of everything surrounding him?  Yeah, that’s definitely a mommy-inherited trait. 

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...