Monday, November 20, 2017

What's the opposite of pride AND humility? Self flagellation?

This weekend at our stake conference, our leaders spoke a few times about pride and the importance of humility.  So I did a good ol' soul scan to see if I had any pride that I should take a soul Swiffer to, and I came to the conclusion that I could have a pride problem - except the Powers that Be have kindly and constantly afforded me with opportunities to prove how completely incompetent I really am.  I'm constantly trying to convince myself that my latest shenanigan wasn't that bad, so I don't really have the time or energy to stockpile up a whole bunch of Hot Dang I'm Cooler Than Thous.

I'm not going to go into a list right now to prove my point, but from giving a vegetarian a meat assortment as a Christmas present, to forgetting what song I was actually playing while onstage at a paying gig and had to stop the entire band because I couldn't even fake my way to the end and I'm pretty sure some members of Jump Little Children were in the audience at the time, rest assured, I have a personal stockpile of evidence to keep me company at 2am.  Every night.

So instead of wallowing during the daylight hours, I've consolidated my interaction with the outside world as much as possible to my current job - the mom thing.  And with a special needs kid, a tween *SERIOUSLY*, and a 4 year old (who is my last baby and is entering school next year so I spend as much as time as possible snuggling him and teaching him EVERYTHING I can before school steals him from me BAAAAAAAAAAUGHHHH), it's pretty easy to do almost nothing else.

Here's the family of late:

A post shared by Reva Paget (@onebrickshyish) on

The WonderGirl is super pumped to try out the goth thing, the Dude is still as determined as ever to declare his loyalty to the crown (No joke, the kids at church were supposed to draw a picture of their hero, and he drew William the Conquerer), Thing 3 demanded to be a Honey Badger, which, by the way, is pretty much a skunk - I think -  the husband is Man With a Wig So He Put on Some Other Stuff That Goes With The Wig, and I'm Woman With a Wig So She Put on Some Other Stuff That Goes With The Wig.

I see other women - amAZEBALLS women who raise fabulous kids and also do something productive in society, and I can't help but wonder HOW THE HECK, because I can't do much more than parent these 3.  I mean, I parent the bejeezes out of them - I know every assignment WG has due at all times, I take the Dude to therapies at least twice a week, I just taught Thing 3 to read and now he's learning piano - plus I teach the other 2 piano and there's the violin for WG and every now and then I do laundry and if I'm feeling chipper, I clean off a counter in the kitchen and feel like Wonder Woman.  Seriously, if I clean something, the husband knows to fawn about it because that was NOT EASY.  But other than that...

In other news, I've been feeling off lately - and part of that is definitely due to stabilizing meds, and part of it was missing bloggering.  Other social media has too many opinions and people I try to avoid.  But this corner of the internet is blissfully dusty.  Just typing this up as felt juuuust cathartic enough to get me out of bed today.  So who else is still blogging??  If you are puleeeeze comment so I can keep up with you!  I'll never forgive google for taking away their super handy dandy RSS feed  :(   So darn convenient!  Poo.  Anywho, HAPPY TODAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

heidi said...

Hiiiiiiiiiiiii. I'm way behind on blogging and rarely read any anymore, but I had a few minutes to avoid duties and saw you had posted. thank you and hurray. This is motivating me to carve out time to do a post later. Blogging is so cathartic. And lots of amazing women have house cleaners, so I've discovered. I hope to be one of them someday

Cath said...

I don't blog much--basically only have time for tweets--but feedly is okay. It's not Reader, but I still can stay on top if the blogs I read.

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...