Thursday, July 23, 2009

mommy got mad.

Oh man, I did good mommying today.  I taught her a good little violin lesson (did I mention we’ve started those?), did some impromptu puppet shows, kept my cool when she threw tantrum after tantrum and even braved the park for a bit this morning even though this baby is making me so blasted sick and sore - heck, I even navigated my way through one of those tantrums where I have to speak to her and she doesn’t want to sit and listen so she starts shrieking “YOU’RE HURTING ME!!” even when I’m not touching her but everyone else in the park thinks I’m beating her and ended up with her hugging me and listening (booya).  I had her giggling at made up stories, I had her following directions (mostly), I had her dancing all through bathtime and even during getting-dressed time, I was doing good. 


And then when it was time to brush our teeth, she threw a fit because she wanted to use one toothbrush when I told her we needed to use a different one.  Now, I do NOT give into tantrums.  A kindly worded “Please” may even get me to change my mind, but I do NOT give her what she’s pouting for, nuh-uh.  So a few strongly worded suggestions from me and she realized it was in her best interests to suck it up and just use the mommy-approved toothbrush.


As I was tucking her into bed, daddy came home from a 2 and a half day work trip and asked her about her day.  “Mommy got mad” was all she said.  That’s all???  After all I desperately did to NOT get mad at her toddler-ness all day??  I was too tired at that point, I just had to leave the room and cry.  And go to the store and buy myself some milk because I haven’t had a tantrum free excursion out of this apartment in days. 


Sometimes doing this job stinks.  And I know it’s about to get a lot harder soon, which is terrifying.  Although I’m looking forward to getting my body back…

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...