Monday, September 21, 2009

My mom’s father died last week. The last of my grandparents. Jane said it best here. I’m not mourning him because I want him here - he was in so much pain, and he missed his wife so much. It’s because the patriach is gone. It’s because my mom and her siblings are missing their parents (I can’t begin to imagine what that feels like). And it’s because it’s the end of an era. Luckily, he was a prolific man and there are volumes of stories and talks and prayers to read, so not all of his zaniness and wisdom is lost. I didn’t go to my grandmother’s funeral a few years back, what with me living on the opposite side of the country and having a small child, and I regretted it. So this time, I’m going - with my 1 month old Dude. The stress of that will likely distract me from the sadness of the occasion, so I hope I will be able to focus on the celebration of his life, and comforting my mom. He did 92 years well. Married for… well, I don[t exacly know, a long time - 7 kids - all the stuff that matters. Good stuff. Go hug someone.





No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...