Friday, May 21, 2010

go-to food

So it’s common knowledge that I am a terrible cook.  I don’t have patience, know-how, or imagination.  Husband can look in the cupboard and start concocting some crazy masterpiece, while I’m still staring at 8,000 items of food and saying “All we have are the ingredients for spaghetti!”


Now, there are some exceptions.  I make killer fondue.  Of course, all it is is throwing stuff in a pot and melting it, but I so have that down.  I can make sushi, but that’s not cooking - it’s rolling mostly raw food.  And when I have to make something fast because the missionaries are coming over, I can make one of 3 things:


1. Homemade mac and cheese.  I RULE at this, mom taught me well. 


2. Baked ziti.  Except I use penne pasta instead of ziti, and all it is is tomato sauce with meat, mozzarella cheese and pasta, all stirred up and stuck in the oven for an hour.  And it’s just an excuse for me to get french bread with it, and eat almost the entire loaf myself. 


and 3. Tacos.  That’s SUPER easy, it’s just putting toppings all out and letting people have at it.  Except I use the Deceptively Delicious recipe where it’s 1 lb ground beef, a cup or so of purred carrot and a can of crushed tomatoes plus the taco seasoning.  It’s DELISH.  And easy.  And we already had tacos twice this week.


Which brings me to the main issue, that I can’t keep making the same 3 things over and over, plus 2 of those are BAKED items.  Who wants to spend summer in a house with the oven on?? 


That’s your cue, folks.  What’s YOUR go-to recipe when you’re short on time?  Perhaps something that’s impossible to screw up, although I’m sure I’d find a way to do that anyway? ;)  If you dopn’t mind, I could put them all in one post and it could be the official OneBrickShy Cookbook.  And I could add in my recipe for cheese waffles as a bonus.  (Spoiler alert - it’s just throwing a handful of cheese on a George Foreman grill.  Sounds disgusting, looks disgusting, tastes just plain sinful.)  How can you say no to that??? 


Merci, intrawebs!!

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...