Monday, November 22, 2010

tis a gift to be simple

In the car today, I was thrilled to hear Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring on the radio.  There is no better piece of music for Thanksgiving.  The last theme really gets me, and I was bawling my head off by the time I got home.  Copland always knows how to make me so blasted thankful to be alive.  I usually dislike playing in orchestras, but not when I’m playing Copland.  Or Carmina Burana - that piece is just pure crazy fun on every page.  Related parent worry - will I be able to teach my children enough about music to give them the opportunity to really hear music and be moved to tears?  They don’t have to cry - but it’s nice to have enough knowledge to have it as an option, right?  And by the time I stumbled inside the house with the kids and the groceries, I was positive I’d failed as mother because they weren’t bawling too.  Good golly I’m neurotic.

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...