Thursday, February 14, 2013

love

In honor of Valentine's Day, I'm going to share one of my most favorite romantic songs - Passenger Seat by Death Cab for Cutie:



I think in my earlier years I would have gone for something more bombastic - something more - more I think.  But every time this song comes on, it slows my breath and my heart, and I feel peace.  The peace that comes from being loved and being actively engaged in this insane experiment that is marriage.  Love isn't just grand gestures, it's the tiny things we do every day.  And that's why this song - the quiet moments together where there isn't much to say, just the peace, the beauty of being comfortable with silence - speaks to me. 

 I was looking at my jewelry the other day and saw my favorite necklace - this gorgeous sparkly thing the husband bought for our 5th anniversary.  I remembered thinking how grown up it was to be given extravagant jewelry, and how maybe, as a married woman of 5 years I'd arrived at this incredibly adult place where you wore necklaces like that.  And how we are about to travel a much more terrifying road than when I thought we'd arrived to some grown-up place as a couple of 5 years (yes, I'm being vague - deal with it) - I  feel more calm and settled than I ever have.  And I like that that's what love has turned out to be.  

Sorry 16 year old me - this is way better.

2 comments:

Cath said...

That whole album makes me feel nothing but melancholy. In a good way, mostly--however that's possible. This song is obviously not a sad one, yet it kind of feels like one.

Jane said...

It's weird what 'grown up' has turned out to be. And what an idiot I was to wish away youth. Not that I regret my marriage or anything but it's a whole lot different than I thought it would be.

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...