Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Letter to my daughter #3

I love you.  That being said, I have some sad reality to share.

There are people who will not like you.  And it's going to hurt.

I can tell you not to take it personally, but it's really hard not to.  The thing is to just accept that it will hurt and move on.

The most important advice I can give you on this is this:

DON'T FORGET TO BE AWESOME.

You can't control what judgement people make.  You CAN control how you feel, how you react.  You can control you.  You are not other people's words or opinions.  No matter what is ever said or done, nothing can take away the fact that first and foremost, you are a daughter of God.  He loves you beyond measure, and that is the opinion that counts.

That being said, here are a few things I have found that help pick me up and get me going in the right direction:

Call someone who loves you (you are very blessed to have a long list) and tell them straight out "I am having a rough day and I need a pick-me-up."  I do that to Gamma all the time, and I will also gladly do it for you too.

Do something nice for someone else.  Nothing works better to get rid of negative energy than by replacing it with some positive.

Shut the windows, turn the music up and dance.  DANCE.

Crowd your brain with good thoughts and good memories.  There is something about the negative things people say - it's like they take up twice the size of any of the compliments we receive.  So you need to have a flood of happy memories ready to go.  So in the in-between times, your job it to make as many happy memories and good friends as you can.  They save you in the lean times.

So when you get hurt - especially if it's on purpose - remember this:






Be smart.  Be intelligent.  Go out there and do something amazing.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Sound advice. One of the things I love best about Tarzan is his ability to ignore people and attitudes and events he doesn't like. Man has skillz.

Elizabeth said...

Love this!

Islamda tevbe kuran i keri said...

Lovee this

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...