Saturday, April 19, 2008


Today is going to be an interesting one… I’m playing with my small celtic combo (Tres de Solei) at a benefit for this organization - Victoria’s Friends.  It’s a ministry for women who are trying to get out of the adult entertainment industry and get the therapy, rehab, education and support that they need to do it. 

I met the founder, Victoria, at a birthday party we played at that she threw for her father.  I watched their family al night as I played, and I have to admit I was a little jealous.  They were all so happy and settled, and I couldn’t help but think of my own family that was going though the grieving process of just losing Megan and the hard road before all of us.  Afterwards, I talked to Victoria and our conversation turned to her own past  - this well-established mom of 2 gorgeous kids, wife of a sweet and loving husband and owner of this very lovely home - had suffered severe trauma as a teen, and had turned to drug and alcohol abuse and working in strip clubs.  Once a woman in the Christian community reached out to her and she found her way again, she turned right back around and created this organization to help other women do the same.  I couldn’t close my mouth - I was so in shock - that she had been that woman and was now such a different woman - and the compassion she had to do so much for others left me speechless and humbled.  I only hope I can someday do anything as noble and giving.

The event will have benefactors there as well as ex-strippers that have been helped though the program…. I can’t wait to see what kind of energy there will be.

Interestingly enough, I found out the christian woman who reached out to her was also a member of the same Baptist church I attended last fall where they held a very offensive “informational session” about my LDS faith.  At least their hearts are in the right place, even if their information isn’t.  I’m a little less bitter now. 

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...