Friday, August 22, 2008

I'm okay, you're okay

Last night’s recording session gots me to thinking.  Am I not as awesome as I used to be?  Ar.r.r.rg!!  Thank heavens for editing software!  But I couldn’t help but ponder how I am so thankful for parents that gave me so many opportunities when I was a kid to develop every skill imaginable, even if I proved hopeless in it, and I never knew I was hopeless because of their unflinching support. 


*Okay, I think we all knew I was a terrible pianist, but you at least kept paying for lessons*… (up until the time the teacher cried and begged me to stop coming… do you remember that??? Poor woman!)


So here’s a list I’ve compiled of all the things I’m finally willing to admit I’m actually not that fabulous at - but I’m okay with it anyway:


1. Singing.  A huge thank you to everyone who has smiled and nodded through the years and let me think I was decent.  If I had my wish, I’d have the singing talent over the fiddle talent, but I’m finally happy with what I’ve got.  I can do back-up like nobody’s buisiness.


2. Dancing. I got ballet and ballroom lessons and I’m thrilled with the chance, but I have to face it - I have the WhitePerson’s disease and I have no groove.  Le sigh - I’m fine with looking like a maniac, as long as I get to keep doing it and enjoying myself.


3. Writing.  I’ve got loads of unfinished manuscripts and let’s face it- 4 blogs - in my wake, and it has come to my attention that if I was fabulous, I’d get paid to do this for a living.  Don’t you love that any schmo can have a blog and dream big??  I sure do:)


4. Art.  I was really given every opportunity as a kid to get good at it - tons of art camps and a mom who could make the Sistine Chapel out of some old mascara and a green crayon - but it never was my lot.  That sainted woman still has my stuff hanging around the house and I love her for it, but I’m pretty sure she knows as well as I do that the teacher painted almost all of that fabulous wooded nature picture she has hanging in the kitchen.


5. Acting.  I got to be in plays and that sainted mother I speak of still holds to that time in 5th grade that I WOWED the audience as Puck.  Also, I completely overdid the mom in ByeBye Birdie but I got the yuks so we’re okay with it.  But I’m going to finally let the dream go that I’ll be rear-ended by a big time movie producer and so I won’t contact insurance, he’ll put in in the starring role in his next Rowan Atkinson film.  (yes I have a crush on Mr. Bean, what of it??)


What are you finally okay with being just tolerably well at?

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...