Sunday, November 16, 2008

happy sunday thoughts

Today at conference our Area Authority (whose name I can’t begin to remember) told this sweet story that I just have to reshare:


Years ago he and his wife were living in Boston with their 5 children while he finished his resdency in pediatrics.  They were living in his words “in an experiment in abject poverty”  and had only one car - an old Dodge Duster - that he let his wife have during the day, and he rode his bicycle to and from the hospital, working insanely long hours.  One day as he rode home, he was feeling very down and exhausted and thought about how he was going home to his 5 children who were looking forward to a daddy to play with them and who would be alert and energetic.


As he rode, he thought of a Kentucky Fried Chicken on his way that was having a sale on thights - 29 cents for a piece.  That sure would pick me up, he thought.  He looked into his wallet and found only a nickel.  He said a silent prayer that he would be able to find a quarter in the road as he rode home, and watched the ground carefully.  He didn’t see anything during his trip, until right as he passed the restaurant - there was a quarter, right there on the other side of the street!  He gave a prayer of thanks and went in to order his snack, when the lady behind the counter told him with tax, it would be 31 cents… but she took pity on him and put her own penny in the register for him.  “I devoured every last morsel of that piece of chicken!” he said, “and I was refreshed and overjoyed to be the daddy my childen needed when I got home.”


He went on to explain he knew it was not some huge sign from the heavens - and it cetainly wasn’t a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but it was a sweet blessing from his Heavenly Father that made him happy - and our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy.  He loves to bless us because our joy gives him joy!


It was such a sweet story, from such a sweet man - I sat sat there and sobbed, thinking of this loving father - without a car to drive home after a 48 hour shift (he said the hours then were even worse than now for residents!) - who prayed for a small miracle to help him along in his day - in the form of a quarter.  So sweet. 


Often, SH and I feel guilty for living n the comfort that we do.  We met after our school was over, we have owned 2 homes now and we don’t really need to worry about the little things (there are 2 drivers in our small family and we have 3 cars and 2 scooters…).  We know how blessed we are, but we know so many great people -his parents included - that struggled with money early on, and it brought them very closeto each other.  Why should we not have to struggle like that?  And are we being generous enough with our means to help others??   We do as often as we fiind opportunity, but I always wish I could do more and know how.  It’s a odd feeling. 


I’m so thankful for hearing this sweet story of a loving father on earth and his loving father in heaven.  It was just the thing to give my heart some happiness today - especially given the attacks being made on my faith and my family now.  I love remembering why I’m this strange person believing these strange things - because I know my father in heaven loves me and wants me to be happy.  The blessings aren’t always huge, but they are always meant for me so I can be better for Him and my family.  It’s a great thing to know!

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...