Saturday, November 8, 2008

priorities

When my perfect brother Dallin was trying to decide whether to become a concert violinist or an engineer, he told me the decision really came down to either working a 9-5 job, or working every night and weekend and holiday as a musician.  So, he picked engineer.  Freaking genuis.


He’s right - there’s not as much to do during the daytime as a musician as there is at night.  Even as a private teacher, you just do most of your work in the afternoon, evening and weekends.  And I’ve been gigging and rehearsing almost every weekend the last few months, and I’m thrilled for a little break.


I could be more successful as a musician and as a teacher if I worked more.  But I just can’t do it - I’m selfish.  I have been since the day I got married.  I hate giving up a night away from my husband.  He supports me teaching, and gigging, and recording, and rehearsing - and I love him for it.  I need to do it and he knows that, but boy HOWDY I need him so much more.


Today has been spec-tacular.  I lovelovelove a lazy day where we spend the whole day parenting and playing together.  I can’t even tell you every mundane thing that has made my heart swell up with happy today - I love to be with him.


Ooo, SexyHusband got his motorcycle license so now he can legally take me for rides on his scooter!  Problem is, I’m terrified.  The first long ride we took, I just pictures my funeral the entire time.  I just need to do it more and get the jitters out, so we’ve been going for little rides here and there and I’m starting to enjoy it.  My dream?  We take a weekend, drive to Savannah with the scooter in the back o’ the truck, and then scoot all over town.  Wheee!!!! He insisted we try to take WonderToddler for a tiny ride squished in between us.  It’s not that weird, since people do it in just about every other country in the world:



We were safe - we all had helmets and we went super slow in our neighborhood.  WonderToddler LOVED it- I need some getting used to it.  I love that I get to though!


Yesterday I had a heavy heart and called my brother to cheer me up.  “What do you need cheering up for?!” he barked into the phone. “You have a blasted perfect life!!  You have a freakishly happy kid, your husband is a saint!” He did then proceed to cheer me up, but his point was dead on.


Bah.  It’s a Saturday, I’m off my blogging brain today.  Suffice to say, all I’ve been able to think all day is how selfish I am - I could be doing anything else with anyone else, but all I want is him.  And I got exactly what I wanted.  YAY!!!  Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off for a snuggle.

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...