Friday, April 23, 2010

wherein i say the funniest thing i have ever said and do not get the mad props i deserve

In my younger days (B.P. - Before Parenthood) I would sometimes call my mom on the psycho stuff she’d done to us as kids.  Typical character-building stuff, forcing us to learn useful life skills, and all the nutritional, healthy food she fed us.  I know, the horror!


Now I call my mom in tears, thanking her for all she gave us, but most importantly, for not killing me in particular.  How on earth she survived raising me I will never understand.  She’ll be the first to admit she had no idea what she was doing either, but she never stopped doing it and giving everything she had.  And even more amazingly, she still loves me.  This woman is freaking bionic.  But that’s not the point of this post.


So the other day, we were chatting and I was freaking out about parenting and she was comforting me and making me feel like a bazillion bucks.  It’s kind of our thing.  I asked her how on earth she could still love me after my significant amount of psycho as a kid, and she lovingly asked me how I could still love her after all her failings as a mother (pppfffft).


Instead of saying something sweet and kind about how she’s nuts, she was amaaaazing as a mother, I deadpanned: “Simple.  It was Stockholm Syndrome.”


…. okay, that was funny!!!  But of course my sainted mother started pontificating about that instead of laughing her buns off.  She’s just too good.  But when I told Husband my punchline later, he snorted once and declared, “That’s the funniest thing you have ever said.”


I know, right??  Smart, funny, it’s a punchline worthy of one of those comedy shows on my television-box.  But all he did was snort.  Once. 


So for once, intrawebs, I’m going to authorize copious amounts of “LOL” commenting.  Validate me, darn it.


* FYI, mom, you were and are AMAAAAZING.  I’m the luckiest crazy person alive.*


* Also, the new layout is still a work in progress, but voila.  Thanks to all my linky friends!!  You can still give me your link so I can plaster you up here and stalk you properly.  Link to the linkylist is to the right, merci! *

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...