Monday, July 12, 2010

i belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, seriously

So every so often, and I do mean often, people refer to me as “not your typical Mormon.”  In a nice way.  Now, I do so love to buck the crowd and be an individual, this is true.  But - let’s look at some stats, what we?


  • Church-going (every week)

  • Married in the temple

  • Stay at home mom with 2 kids, and NO activities outside parenting and church

  • No coffee, no smokin’, no alcohol, doing that whole Word of Wisdom thing

  • Didn’t attend BYU, but went to LDS institute classes for 7 years straight

  • Graduated high school seminary

  • Teach the kiddos music at church every single week

  • Working on all those 10 commandments, including no killing people (number 6!), no stealing (number 8!), no swearing (number 3!), and keeping the Sabbath day holy with no shopping, restaurants, getting gas on that day, etc. (number 4!)

  • Read my handy dandy scriptures daily

If that isn’t your run-o’-the-mill Mormon stereotype, I don’t know what is.  We’re all just trying our darndest to follow the commandments and endure to the end and all that.  So I don’t get offended, but I do get confused.  What kind of Mormon do people think I am??  And what kind of Mormon do they think everyone else is??


sidenote - in college, a born-again Baptist wanted to date me because I seemed like such a wild child and he wanted to save me.  After he got to know me, he realized I was a gazzillion times more straight-laced than he was.  I never understood WHY he thought I was such a wild child - I never went out drinking like him or smoked anything like him, and I dressed, although colorfully, modestly.  He said it was something about how loud I was.  Volume???


Happy Monday!!

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...