Wednesday, December 8, 2010

when we're helping we're happy

I’m a thinking-thoughtful person.  I think lots of things.  I’m usually thinking.  But one thing I really wish I could change about myself would be that I’d rather be a ACTING-thoughtful person.  When I try to go ahead and do something thoughtful, it’s almost always a trainwreck.  If you are my friend, you are very likely the recipient of a gift that you had to smile-and-nod at.  I am terrible at picking out gifts, or doing something for someone that didn’t just get in the way.  Every time I give someone something, or do some act of kindness I concocted in my brain, a warning sound goes off in my head yelling “YOU KNOW THEY’D BE BETTER OFF WITH THE CASH YOU SPENT ON THIS.”  I miss birthdays and Christmas all the time just fretting about what I could give or do but can’t seem to get any ideas.


But man, I have the most thoughtful friends and family in the entire universe.  The kind of people who will jump in a car or plane to visit if I need it, who give the most amazing gifts, and can make the most amazing plans or things … they are insanely awesome.  I am so richly blessed in loved ones that it’s ridiculous.  I never feel like I can adequately pay-it-forward.  I overthink, I miss the point, I buy a swimming pool for someone who needs a drink of water.  Bah.


So all this being said, I really want to feel less helpless when I see a friend in need.   What was the most helpful thing someone did for you when you needed a hand?

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...