Sunday, May 25, 2008

Shallow isn't as bad as it looks...

Every now and then I wake up with a mission.  A shallow mission.  Some tiny thing that I have decided will make my life better, one piece of make-up/clothing/toy at a time.  It’s sad how easily I am amused and/or apeased, but it comes in super handy. Just ask SexyHusband, who has managed to calm down his psychotic wife with a single box of Junior Mints.

Lately, my hair has been driving me nuts.  It’s grown out a bit since my last haircut and the regrowth of my highlights makes me want to pull them out every time I look in the mirror.  So Friday I got the BRILLIANT idea to dye my hair!  Go blonde again!  Yes, get some hair dye and just do it!  Surprise SexyHusband!  Be spontaneous!

 It didn’t happen like I’d planned though… it actually made my hair darker.  Or at least, uniformly a warmer brown that it had been.  It was good actually, buch better than it had looked before - but I was still disappointed.  I had planned on being all blonde and different to surprise SH, but I wasn’t.  Insert pointless and useless pity party here.

To give SH a heads up to why I would be a emotional wreck later on, I IM-ed him and told him of my plight.  Then I rushed all over town getting things ready to drop off WonderTodler with his parents so we could go on a date.  But, as it always is with trying to get things ready with a toddler, it is infuriating and takes forever.  I really wanted to stop at the Dolr Store and grab some candy for the movie, but time was getting tight… oh, and my hair was still making me mad.

*sidenote* you know what drives me CRAZIEST about parenting??  When WT comes up to me, begs for her pacifier or a cup, I give it to her, and then 10 minutes later she’s lost it and is screaming for it again.  ARG!!  So I run around the house yelling “WHERE DID YOU PUT IT??” but she has no idea what I’m saying.  AAARRRGG!!!!

So by the time I had WT ready and had gone to pick up SH from work (he’d ridden his scooter and there was an unexpected rainstorm - we weren’t suposed to get rain until next week!) I was in a foul, unhappy mood.  And yet, I KNEW it was for completely stupid reasons - so my hair didn’t turn out how I’d expected, it still looked way better than it had, and so I didn’t get candy, BIG WHOOP.  And we were rushing and might be late to the movie… worse things have happened.  But it had been so long since we’d been to a movie… I just wanted to have felt different, all sexy with my blonde self.

SH was undeterred though, and pushed on, dropped off WT and faced traffic to get to the movies.  He was so sweet, and let me vent for a second, then asked me to get his laptop out of his backpack and look at a picture he’d pulled up on the web -

Huh?  What was this?   “You sounded so upset and you had wanted a change, so I looked around the web to see if I could help.  I think you could look good in a haircut like this.”

All of the sudden, my weepy, disappointed mood flipped over.  You know how amazing is feels to have your husband go looking for something so girlish and simple, just to try and solve your little problem and help you be happy again?

I *heart* my husband.

The date went so fabulous after that.  It felt like we were an actual couple again - like when we went on dates every Friday when we were newlyweds.  Thanks to Jane, we have a giftcard from Christmas to the movie theater, and it was such a treat to sit there, snacking on my pretzel and slushie, snuggling next to my hubby, who was happy because he’d made me happy.  THANK YOU JANE!!!

Like I said, my shallowness is a good thing.  All I needed was a little attention and some snacks and I was gooood to go.  You should have seen how hott I was todya at church - I’m experimenting with my hair and makeup, and I feel all giddy to be having fun with it.  Sigh… I wish I wasn’t so shallow, but being able to have the little things make me so blissfully happy?  Priceless.

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...