Tuesday, January 20, 2009

lowest common denominators

Okay, to cleanse the blog-pallete I was all ready to blog today about my latest two guilty pleasure songs.  I mean, I have to pretend I’m all classy with this graduate degree in music and I only listen to Stravinsky and experimental Javan gamelan music (don’t laugh, I acually played in one in grad school!). 


I do listen to the regla’r old radio - now, more than ever, to try and get an escape from my brain, to pretend I’m still young and hip and there isn’t a toddler in the backseat screaming for the “Itsy Bitsy Spider” one more time.  And I analyze it - I can’t help it, it’s all those years of not understanding music theory but trying super hard to understand what instrument is doing what where and if the “composer” does anything out of the ordinary with the standard chord structure of a pop song.


Anywho, I was going to post all about (and defend my reasoning of) these 2 songs I have suddenly become obssessed with by 2 artists I’m not a fan of, when I checked out SeriouslySoBlessed today and the entry made my laugh my pants off. 


Only problem with that site is she’s always got music playing on her page - I HATE that.  So I scolled down to find the player (it’s hidden down there, drives me nuts), and discovered the top 2 songs on her player were my guilty pleasures.


Dang.  I’m going to have my hipster card revoked, I KNOW it.


*okay, I will admit, Beyonce wrote one of them and I am a begrudging fan of hers for life - even though she’s the creepiest dancer ever and her lyrics are usually stupider than stupid - because she did write Bootylicious.  Praise be to her for that gem!

No comments:

HEAR YE. I need to document the fact that I ran 3 miles and didn't feel like death.  So just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did...